Saturday, August 08, 2009

Anniversary Gifts

For our first anniversary, Jordan and I both gave one another the traditional gift made of paper. As it turns out, we both gave each other tickets to different events! I gave Jordan tickets to a pre-season football (soccer) match, and he gave me tickets to go see Wicked in London!

We have been trying to decide which premier league team was going to be "ours" since we received this assignment a year ago in June. Rooting for Chelsea is like rooting for the Yankees (says my husband), and believe me, there are reasons for every other team out there besides our beloved Arsenal. ;) During our first train ride down to London, we went right past Emirates Stadium, which is where Arsenal plays. So we decided it was meant to be.

I bought tickets for a pre-season friendly match on July 18th at Underhill Stadium. Arsenal was playing Barnet at their small stadium in north London. Basically, watching this game was like seeing a minor league baseball team (Barnet) play a major league baseball team (Arsenal). Our seats were on the top row, but in this stadium, that's only about 10 rows high! It was so cool to experience our first match in such a small venue.

Go Gunners!

That smile lets me know I've given him a good gift :)

Here we are in our new kits!

The lineup

The following weekend we drove down to Epping, the Northern-most tube stop, and rode down to Leicester Square. We had lunch, and then went to see Wicked. I have been dying to see this play for a while now, so I was really excited! If you're not familiar with it, the show is basically a prequel to The Wizard of Oz, only it's told from the wicked witch's point of view. It was an amazing show, and I couldn't believe how elaborate the costumes were! After the show, we walked around London for a while, taking in some of the sites, and then found a yummy little Thai restaurant for dinner.

The weather was beautiful that day, so we took advantage and declared it a top-down day!

Me at the tube station in Epping.

This is where we picked up our tickets.

Walking up to the theatre. :)

1 comment: