Monday, April 13, 2009

Another Update After a Busy Weekend

We had a wonderful time this past weekend. It all started on Friday night, when Cooper's presence was requested at our corner pub. Earlier in the week, one of the employees had relayed the message to us that she would like us to bring him in during her shift on Friday. He has really won over the hearts of the local people! We brought a couple of friends along, and played Scattegories in the pub while Cooper got fed scraps of ham and other treats.

On Saturday morning, we went in to Newmarket to watch the racehorses training on the gallops. It was a truly amazing experience to see them running full speed up the hill, and then walk right by us as they came down. These horses are absolutely beautiful, and we are getting really excited for race season to begin! We took lots of pictures, but I will have to post them another time because Jordan has my camera today. We went hiking through a forest close to the base later in the afternoon, and then just relaxed and watched a movie on Saturday night.

On Easter Sunday, we went to mass with a friend at a beautiful church in Cambridge. We had gone to this particular church for mass on Palm Sunday, but decided to go to the early service this week in order to have a better shot at getting seats. Unfortunately, what we didn't realize was that the 8:00 service was a "said" mass...meaning that they don't sing a single song. We had decent seats, but the mass was over and done with in about 45 minutes! Talk about efficient! Needless to say, we will be avoiding this type of service in the future. Afterward, we went to have tea at the Royal Cambridge Hotel, and then walked along the River Cam, and through the Pembroke College gardens. Later in the day, we went to a friend's house for a barbeque.

Today, Jordan has his first flight! He is flying to the Azores, which are tiny islands located off the coast of Portugal. It will be his first oceanic flight, so he is really excited. I'm sure he will have lots of stories to tell, and hopefully he will take a bunch of pictures to share with you all! We have some friends who are stationed in the Azores, so I am looking forward to the next time he flies there so I can tag along!

I have my first interview scheduled on Thursday! It's a position on base with the University of Oklahoma, and they offer tuition assistance! I will tell more about it if I get the job, so wish me luck!! :)

8 comments:

  1. It was great chatting with you this morning, sorry it was so short. Anyways, GOOD LUCK with the interview, I will keep my fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jordie and Lexi-

    I was going through some old e-mails and I came across your blog address. What fun to read! I am thrilled that you are taking full advantage of your location. It is a vicarious pleasure to read this!!! I hope Jordie's flight was a success and the same with your interview. Can you work while in a foreign country? Not quite sure how that works. Your house looks so fantastic. Enjoy every moment. Hope to visit sometime!!

    Love,

    Lisa (Rosen)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful Easter weekend. We worried that you might feel isolated, being so far from home and family, on your first holiday across the pond, but seems you figured out how to put it out of mind. I'm glad Cooper is making good friends at the corner pub. When we come over in June, I can put him on his leash and he can lead me over there!! I'm sure the two of us can while away a few afternoons sharing a couple of pints of ale, and his friends and I, can toss him some "scraps of ham!!!" It was also exciting to hear that Jordan is finally at the controls of the KC-135.
    We've found the Azore Islands on the globe and they look awfully small. Keep a steady hand on the throttles and be ready to hit the brakes hard when you land, Jordan, 'cuz it looks like you could skip right into the Atlantic Ocean on the other side of the island if you're not careful!!! It also sound really exciting that you can accompany Jordan on those flights, Lexi. It would be nice for you to visit your friends from Columbus there. The job interview with the University of Oklahoma sounds great, Lexi. I like the part about your being able to work on a graduate degree as one of the perks. That your Masters Degree would be from "Oklahoma" is another thing, but at least your "first" degree is from the University of Colorado, right? Enjoyed reading your update on the blog. Keep them coming and we'll look forward to more pictures soon.
    -Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny! I would imagine this flight would be a challenge on such a small island. I'm glad to see you had a great Easter weekend Lexi and Jordan. God I would love to be at a BBQ right now. I need a burger or a steak or some kind of cow!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you two are still LOVING it over there! Tell Jordan that Ross is VERY jealous of his first flight! He is SO ready to get back into a plane again! Good luck with the interview! Keep us posted on everything! We mis you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how Cooper's presence was requested - too funny!! How fun that you can take him everywhere with you, I bet he loves that.
    Can't wait to see pics of Jordan's first flight. Good luck w/ your interview, fingers crossed for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the new layout! It's very cute. Good luck on your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the new look of your blog. Hope to try out skype tomorrow morning with you.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete